Monday, November 11, 2013

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

This was my favorite main dish when I was a kid. It’s way better than the Kraft version. Once I moved to Vermont, I started making this with Cabot 50% light sharp cheddar, and I haven’t made it with any other cheese for years.

I adapted the recipe from my old BH&G cookbook. The current version of the cookbook has a similar recipe, as well.

6 ounces elbow macaroni (1 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
2 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Dash pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups cubed cheese (see note above)
Seasoned bread crumbs or crushed saltines


Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. For cheese sauce, in a saucepan melt butter or margarine. Cook onion in butter til tender but not brown. Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper. Add milk, all at once; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes more. Add cubed cheese; stir til melted. Stir macaroni into cheese sauce. Turn into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Top with seasoned bread crumbs or crushed saltines. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. Makes 6 servings. 318 calories/serving (if use Cabot 50% light cheese, skim milk and top with saltines).

No comments:

Post a Comment