Ingredients1 Cup milk
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 1/2 Cups flour (half white, half whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup sugar
1/3 Cup vegetable oil (or softened butter)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 Cups frozen raspberries
1/3 Cup chocolate chips
6 tsp coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line muffin cups with parchment muffin liners, or lightly coat with unsalted butter or cooking spray.
- Combine milk and vinegar in a measuring cup. Stir and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. Milk will thicken or curdle, effectively making buttermilk.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, combine sugar, oil or butter, egg, vanilla and milk/vinegar in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the dry mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in the frozen raspberries and the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the muffin mixture into each cup, filling it to the top of the liner.
- Top each muffin with ½ tsp coarse sugar.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 425F and then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly. (I just baked at 375 for 20 minutes or so, but I'll have to try it this way.)