2 Large eggs
3/4 Cup plain dry breadcrumbs (I use Italian bread crumbs)
3/4 Cup finely grated Parmesan, plus 2 tablespoons for topping
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 Large eggplants , peeled and sliced about 1/4" thick (2 1/2 pounds total)
6 Cups store - bought chunky tomato sauce or homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce (48 ounces)
1 1/2 Cups shredded mozzarella
- In a wide, shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and 2 tablespoons water. In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan, oregano, and basil; season with salt and pepper.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg mixture, letting excess drip off, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture, coating well. Fry eggplant slices in olive oil until golden brown on each side.
- Raise oven heat to 400 degrees.
- Spread 2 cups sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange half the eggplant in dish; cover with 2 cups sauce, then 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce, and mozzarella; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan.
- Bake until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted, 15 to 20 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.