Friday, November 8, 2013

Yeast Doughnuts

I make doughnuts every Halloween while Brad takes the kids trick or treating. I set some hot cider to simmering (for atmosphere as much as for taste!), and then I set about to frying up the doughnuts in an old Fry Daddy I inherited from somewhere. I take the doughnuts out of the hot oil and put them on paper towels until they’ve cooled just a tad, enough so that I can roll them in sugar. I eat them as soon as they are cool enough to pop in my mouth, and I especially love eating the doughnut holes!

The recipe comes from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook Mother gave me back in 1989. I haven’t seen the recipe in more recent versions of the cookbook.

3 to 3 1/2 cups flour
 2 packages (2 scant T) yeast
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
Shortening or oil for deep-fat frying
Granulated sugar

In a large mixer bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour with the yeast. In a saucepan heat milk, sugar, 1/4 cup shortening and the salt just till warm and the shortening is almost melted; stir constantly. Add milk mixture to the flour; add eggs. Beat at low speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl often. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover; let rise in a warm place till double (1 to 1 1/4 hours).


Punch down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest 10 minutes. Roll each half of dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Cover; let rise till very light (45 to 50 minutes). Heat oil or shortening to 375. Carefully add 2 or 3 doughnuts; fry about 1 minute. Turn and fry 1 minute more; drain. Glaze with powdered sugar icing or shake in a bag of granulated sugar. Makes 16 to 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment