Friday, November 8, 2013

Streusel Coffee Cake

I grew up eating this coffee cake, and I passed along the tradition to my children. This recipe is from the BH&G cookbook I was given in 1989. For some unfathomable reason, it isn’t in later versions that I have seen. My mother made this with raisins; I make it without, but only because my children whine about raisins in their bread.

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cooking oil
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Stir together the 1 1/2 cups flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine egg, milk and oil. Add wet ingredients to flour mixture; mix well. Stir in raisins. Turn into a greased 9x9x2 pan. Combine nuts (if desired), brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, butter, and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter. (Actually, I put globs of the topping on the batter instead of sprinkling, because I like it better that way.) Bake in a 375 oven about 25 minutes. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment