Friday, November 8, 2013

Basic Taffy

We used to pull taffy when I was a child, and I loved it! The result is the hard taffy that I love...as opposed to the nasty salt water taffy that looks like it should be good but tastes really terrible and sticks to your teeth something awful. I don’t know exactly what recipe my mother used, but I’m including a couple here that work just fine.

Butter a marble slab or heavy platter. Combine and stir over low heat until dissolved and boiling:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup corn syrup

Cover about 3 minutes to allow crystals to be washed down from the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook to 270 degrees without stirring. Remove from heat. Add and mix well:

1 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda


Pour and spread over the slab or plate. Do not scrape pan. Pull as soon as it’s cool enough to handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment