Friday, November 8, 2013

Basic Biscuits

I grew up making biscuits with shortening, but I discovered some time ago that my sister makes beautiful biscuits with vegetable oil instead. Since I hate using a pastry blender (because I’m lazy), I’ve made biscuits that way ever since. This recipe makes 6 biscuits or so.

If you want to be naughty, you can add a little cinnamon sugar. When I was growing up, Mother used to roll the biscuits in melted butter and then cinnamon sugar before baking. As an alternative, I roll the dough out to about 1/4 or 1/2 inch thick, spread with melted butter, and cover in cinnamon sugar. Then I roll up the dough and cut it like cinnamon rolls before baking.

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix ingredients with a fork. Roll to desired thickness (I go for about 1/2 inch). Cut with a biscuit cutter or cookie cutter or whatever you really want to use to shape them. Place on baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment