Friday, November 8, 2013

Ruth's Apple Pie

Brad loves his mom’s apple pie, so I finally asked for the recipe. It’s a basic apple pie but very tasty. I especially like this with Macintosh or Honeycrisp apples.

Freezing the filling: I often freeze bags of filling during apple season so that I can quickly make a pie later in the year. For frozen filling, use 10 cups of apples instead of 8. Go ahead and add the flour and sugar and cinnamon like normal. Then mix and spoon into a freezer bag. You can’t bottle pie filling with flour in it, but freezing works fine.
Crust
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons shortening
3 tablespoons cold water
Filling
8 cups apples (10 cups, if freezing)
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Put filling in pie crust, top with butter pats. Slit crust. Bake @ 425 for around 50 minutes. I cover the edges of the crust with a crust saver or aluminum foil once they start to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment