Friday, November 8, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies

These are some of my favorite oatmeal cookies, although my kids fail to appreciate them as much as I do. They are not overly sweet, but I could eat them by the dozen. The recipe comes from my mother, and I have a vague memory that it came to our family in our Alabama days, but I’m not sure if that is correct. These actually make pretty good ice cream sandwiches.

3 cups flour
3 cups oatmeal
1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1/2 water or milk
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Mix all ingredients together. You will have to use your hands, as this is a rather crumbly dough. Roll as thin as  possible. (I actually like these cookies a little soft, so I roll dough about 1/4 inch thick, but you can roll thinner if you like crispy cookies.) Cut with a round cookie cutter. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment