Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Winter Squash Chowder

This recipe comes from the Great Pumpkin Patch, in Arthur, Illinois. If you ever get to Amish country in Central Illinois in the fall, include the Pumpkin Patch in your plans. It isn't Amish run, actually, but it's amazing.

The soup I made is actually quite a variation on the original recipe, since I was too lazy to go to the store and get the proper ingredients. It was delicious, though. I'll include the original recipe and indicate my variations.

2 slices bacon (I didn't use)
1 cup leeks, sliced (I used regular yellow onions)
1 cup red potatoes, cubed (I used russets)
1 cup acorn squash, cubed*
1 cup butternut squash, cubed*
1 cup pumpkin, cubed*
2 cans fat-free chicken broth
1 cup cream (I used coconut milk instead)
1 tablespoon sage, chopped (fresh sage is best)
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar (I didn't use)

*I used just butternut squash, instead of the three different squashes (just tripled the amount)

In a stock pot or dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp, then remove from pan. Add leeks to bacon drippings and cook until softened. Add potatoes, squash and pumpkin and cook 5 more minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 30 or  40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cream and seasonings Add brown sugar, if desired. Garnish with crumbled bacon. NOTE: Prior to adding the cream or coconut milk, I put the squash mixture in a blender and blended until smooth. Then I stirred in the cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment