Monday, March 31, 2014

Pork in Peanut Sauce

The original recipe comes from Allrecipes.com. As usual, I've modified a bit, but not too much this time. Mostly, instead of frozen mixed vegetables, I used fresh vegetables (whatever I had in the fridge, which today happened to be broccoli, bell pepper and a little zucchini). I served the pork over brown rice.

2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger root
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (I minced the garlic)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
4 tablespoons peanut butter
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin, cut into strips
2 tablespoons peanut oil for frying (I used sesame oil instead of peanut oil)
1 onion, chopped
3/4 cup cashew nuts
2 cups frozen mixed stir-fry vegetables (I used fresh vegetables instead)

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, stir together the ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, broth, and peanut butter. Stir in pork to coat. Set aside. (Note: I marinated the pork in the fridge for an hour.)
  2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onions, and cook about 1 minute. Stir in cashews. Cook until unions are soft and translucent. Pour in pork and marinade. Cook until pork pieces are done, about 10 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables, and cook 5 minutes more.

    NOTE: Since I was using fresh vegetables, and they require a little more cooking time than frozen, I removed the pork mixture from the skillet before adding the vegetables. Then I sauteed the vegetables until crisp-tender and added the pork mixture back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment